18 February 2008

My thoughts on "Experience"

I've been driving a charter bus all over the east coast for about five years now. Without fail, there's usually one passenger in every group who feels the need to tell me how to do my job, i.e., what routes to take, where to park, which lane to be in, etc. When I ask them how long they've been driving a passenger bus, the answer is always that they haven't, but they've been going on tours and trips on buses for years. They've never been in the seat and really have no idea what's involved in doing my job, but because they've been along on some trips in the past, they think they know how to do it. Hhhhmm.

Every time I hear Hillary or her supporters talk about all her experience, I think of my "experienced" passengers. Other than being a US Senator since 2000, she doesn't REALLY have that much more time on-the-job than Barack Obama. When you look at time in public office, Hillary actually has LESS!

Senator Obama was a state senator for eight years, and is now going on his third year as a US senator. That's a total of nearly eleven years. Mrs. Clinton, on the other hand, has been a US senator for just over seven years. Now, I'm not real good with numbers, but even I know that eleven is more than seven!

Hillary claims that because she was "along for the ride" when Bill was a governor and the president, that she somehow has more experience. Uh, yeah, okay. Let's get this straight: being ON the bus and actually DRIVING the bus are two totally different things. I mean, with whom would you rather travel...someone who's actually been doing the driving, or someone who thinks they know what to do because they've been a passenger a long time???

I'm really surprised that somebody hasn't brought this up before, and why Mrs. Clinton hasn't been called on this.

She really has to stretch to make herself look better. It seems to me that the more she tries to make herself look like the wiser choice, the more she shows character traits that make me more sure of my support for Senator Barack Obama. She also reminds me of the commercial for a popular hotel chain...

Hillary: 'My time as 1st lady makes me qualified to lead the greatest nation on the planet." Uh huh,...and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Give me a break.

So, does America really want someone with EXPERIENCE, or someone who was simply ALONG FOR THE RIDE? For me, I think we better let Barack Obama drive.

Always, Verna

No comments: