24 February 2008

Views of a "Code Red-drinking, Volvo-driving, tennis shoe-wearing, working-to-make-a-living/there's-no-trust fund baby

In the debate last Thursday night, our next President, Barack Obama, touched on a subject that I take personally: specifically, HRC's "get real" comments, and the statements of some of her supporters that I and my fellow Obama supporters are somehow "delusional". I'd like to share the views of a "Code Red-drinking, Volvo-driving, tennis shoe-wearing, working-to-make-a-living/there's-no-trust fund baby."

To put it simply, THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS!!!

I'm not good with numbers, so I don't spend a lot of time looking at the statistics of who is or is not voting for a particular candidate. The one statistic that I do find interesting is that, as was the case with the last presidential election, the higher the educational level of the individual, the more likely he/she is to vote for Barack Obama.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that people with more education are any smarter or more intelligent than those who may not have had the opportunity to continue into higher levels of education. What I am saying is that people who have had that opportunity are more likely to look at any given situation more closely, have been exposed to a wider range of views, and have had the chance to explore the world a bit more deeply. They are also more likely to look at a broader range of sources before making a decision, and are less likely to just simply take somebody else's word for something.

I don't have a college degree, but I do have education beyond high school. My work history includes being the administrative secretary for a local ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens), volunteer work for the American Cancer Society (office worker) and the local Hospice (phone solicitations), office staff and residential monitor for a half-way house for women in early recovery from drugs and alcohol, and currently, driving a motor coach/tour bus for a national carrier.

My husband is a historian, his area of expertise being the American Civil War. He has taught me a great deal. My family background includes many nationalities. Some of my ancestors were here to welcome others of my family tree to the New World. I have a thirst for knowledge and information, and having a personal history of having made some really "bone-headed" decisions in my past, I've tried to learn to get all of the information I can on any given subject before making a final decision.

I don't like "labels" that some try to put on other people, but accept that this has become a part of our society. I have been labeled "liberal," and our Greene County for Obama group's member, Birdalone, covered that topic quite eloquently in an earlier post. I consider myself to be a "moderate" since I shy away from extremists of any sort, and believe that there are AT LEAST two sides to every issue. I suppose I would classify myself as an "optimistic skeptic" in most areas, though I prefer the term "realist." I don't take any one's word for anything!

In the time leading up to this campaign, having had a chance to get to know John Edwards in the previous presidential election, he was my first choice this time around. I had still paid attention to the other candidates. I listened to HRC change her tune and tone on her stance on the War in Iraq. Since she listed her time as first lady in her resume as "experience" that qualifies her for becoming president, I took a look at what she did. I wasn't impressed, though I respect her strength. I had to take into consideration the target that she and President Clinton (who I believe was a very good president) presented to the Republican Machine, and while I don't think they deserved all the criticism they got, they certainly did give their critics a ton of ammunition.

Before his keynote speech to the Democratic Convention in 2004, I didn't know anything about Barack Obama. I set out to learn about him, and have no hesitation in saying that I have discovered him to be everything he presents himself to be. He's REAL. There's nothing fake about him, that I can find. He works toward the goals he believes in, and he believes in as I do, the promise of what our great nation can be. He is NOT just words. He puts his ideas into action, to the best of his ability. He turned out to be exactly what he first appeared to me to be.

HOPE. Despite my education and life-experience, I am puzzled by one thing. Could someone please explain to me what Hillary and her supporters seem to have against "hope"? I suspect that they wouldn't think it was such a bad thing if HRC was the one who had the ability to inspire that intangible quality in others. She doesn't have it. Yes, she has been involved in politics longer than Obama, but what does that offer? Change? Progress? Hope? I'm sorry, but that's not what I see when I look at the evidence.

I choose to make an informed decision. I choose to look at the history and the evidence for myself. I choose to cast my vote for the person who is best able to lead our country in the direction that it has been diverted from by the current administration and those who have used their power to allow them to do so. I choose the person who will bring our men and women in uniform out of Bush's bastard war, and refocus our attention on bringing to justice those who attacked our nation in 2001. I choose the person who will be a true leader and begin to work with the leaders of our neighbors in the world community, from a position of mutual respect, instead of a position of bull-headed obstinacy. I choose the person who will make affordable health care available to ALL of our citizens, without using a stick to force us into compliance. I choose the candidate who knows how to unite people in a movement to get things accomplished, without having to sell out to special interests and big business.

I choose HOPE. I choose Barack Obama.

Thanks for letting me share.



Always, Verna C.

No comments: